Wednesday, 8 March 2017

The Sound of Music!

According to information on the 'PRS for Music' website, ‘music in clubs is an essential part of the entertainment experience’.

Whilst my clubbing days (and nights) are but a dim and distant memory, PRS for Music may be onto something.

They also claim that '93 percent of bars and clubs agree that music creates a better atmosphere for punters' and it would be hard to argue against that.

Nobody would argue about the need for music in clubs or bars, but we often find our clients falling foul of the obligation to comply with the licensing requirements that currently exist.

In summary, if you run a business of any sort and music is played on the premises for  the benefit of customers or staff, The Copyright Design and Patent Act 1988 states that you need to get permission from the copyright holder. This permission is obtained through a licensing regime run by PRS for Music.

However, the requirement does not stop there because the PRS for Music licence collects and distributes money on behalf of song writers, composers and publishers.

What about the performers you may ask?

Don't worry, there is a separate organisation called PPL that collects and distributes money on behalf of the performers, and record companies for using their music.

So, in conclusion, if you play music in your business, make sure you have the correct permissions in place to support both the composers and performers by having valid documentation from both PPL and PRS for Music.

Further information can be found here:

To find out more about Chapter Three Consulting go to