Tuesday, 28 February 2017

A Guide to Premises Licensing

Part Two How to Apply for a Premises Licence

You will need to apply for a premises licence if you intend to sell alcohol or provide ‘licensable activities’ from a venue.

Licensable activities include selling alcohol and serving hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am.

You will also need a licence if you provide the following types of entertainment:
  • Theatrical performance
  • Showing a film
  • Indoor sporting event
  • Boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
  • Live music
  • Recorded music
  • Dance
  • Facilities for making music
  • Dancing facilities

You will still need a licence even if the activities are for charity.

You must be 18 or over and have a designated premises supervisor (DPS) to apply for a premises licence. A DPS must have a personal licence to sell alcohol.

Applications can be for a new licence or a variation of the hours or activities of an existing licence.  An applicant will always be required to give notice of their application to a list of responsible authorities, which are statutory bodies including the Police, Fire Service, Environmental Health and Trading Standards.

An applicant will also be required to advertise their application, both on the premises, and in a local newspaper, to make both residents and businesses aware.

Application fees for premises licences applications and club premises certificates depend on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises, which is also used to calculate business rates.

From the time an application for a new licence or variation is made, there is a 28-day consultation period to enable any of the responsible authorities or any other persons to make representations in respect of the application.  These can either support or oppose the application.

After 28 days, if no objections have been made, the licence can be granted. If an objection has been made, the application will usually be referred to a hearing of the Licensing of Alcohol and Gambling Sub-Committee to be decided.

Should you require assistance with an application for a premises licence we are here to help.

Visit our website www.c3c.co.uk or call us today on 0330 004 0020 to find out how we can help you.